The objective of this course is to give a foundation in the history of ultrasonic testing, wave propagation, attenuation, mode conversion, piezoelectric transducers, transducer types, couplant, Pulser-Receiver. An understanding of normal beam inspection, angle beams and, spread spectrum. To perform calibration methods and DAC curves. Finally, the application of flaw detection and inspection of welded joints will be learned and demonstrated.
• To become familiar with types of Ultrasound and its properties.
• To analyze and understand the Acoustic Impendence, Snell’s Law and its application.
• To understand the Interaction of sound, matter and attenuation.
• To learn transducer and wave types and its effects.
• To determine the sound propagation in angle beam testing and straight beam testing.
• To read and interpret reflected signals on Ultrasound equipment.
• To be able to calibrate Ultrasound Units.
• To determine flaw size in weldments in different materials.
This course is designed to provide a hybrid experience, including classroom and hands-on training. This class will be divided in the following way:
80% Classroom Training
• Theory of Ultrasonic Testing
• Familiarity of transducers, wedges, UT machines, etc.
• Code and procedure clinics
20% Field Hands-On Training
• Familiarity with scanning test pipes and plates
• Field training based on job site location at time of class
• Present Condition
• Future of Ultrasonic Testing
Physics of Ultrasound
• Wave Propagation
• Modes of Sound Waves
• Wavelength, Attenuation, and Elastic Properties
• Reflection, Refraction, and Snell’s Law
• Mode Conversion
• Wave Inference
• American Welding Society (AWS)
• American Petroleum Institute (API)
• American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Equipment and Transducers
• Piezoelectric Transducers
• Transducer Beam Spread
• Transducer Types
• Pulser – Receivers
• Impedance Matching
• Normal Beam
• Angle Beam
• Signal Processing
• Calibration Methods
• DAC Curves
• Reference Standards
• Rail Inspection
Essential and Ethical Duties of the Inspector
• Duties and Responsibilities
• Notification of Discrepancies
• Inspection Report
Textbook and Course Material
• Personnel Training Publications: Ultrasonic Testing Classroom Training Book (ASNT)
• American Petroleum Institute (API) 1104 Piping Welding Code
• American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code
©2016 NDE Institute
All rights reserved.