The objective of this course is to give a foundation in the history of radiographic testing, the nature of radiation, gamma radiation, X-radiation, and radiation safety. A understanding of x-ray sources, radiographic film, radio-isotope sources, exposure calculations, film processing and controlling quality. Finally, a introduction into advanced techniques and the future radiographic testing.
• To become familiar with types of radiation and its activity.
• To analyze and understand the Inverse Square Law and its application.
• To understand the Interaction of radiation and matter and attenuation.
• To learn the image considerations for producing radiographic film.
• To determine radiographic density, and understand the contrast and definition as it applies to shot exposure.
• To read and interpret radiographs to determine size and type discontinuities present in welds.
• To be able to completely develop radiographic film manually.
• To operate and use radiation in a safe manner for the inspector as well as the public.
This course is designed to provide a hybrid experience, including classroom and hands-on training. This class will be divided in the following way:
80% Classroom Training
• Theory of Radiographic Testing
• Familiarity of cameras, films, development process, sources etc.
• Code and procedure clinics
20% Field Hands-On Training
• Film development and exposure techniques
• Familiarity with safety equipment and “roping off”
• Field training based on job site location at time of class
• Present Condition
• Future of Radiographic Testing
Physics of Radiation
• Nature of Radiation
• Activity and Ionization
• Inverse Square Law and Interaction of Radiation
• Sources of Attenuation and Geometry Unsharpness
• Scatter and Radiation Control
• Radiation Safety
Equipment and Materials
• X-ray Sources
• Radio-Isotopes Source
• Exposure Vaults
Techniques and Calibrations
• Imaging Considerations
• Radiographic Density
• Film Processing
• American Welding Society (AWS)
• American Petroleum Institute (API)
• American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
• Real Time Radiograph
Essential and Ethical Duties of the Inspector
• Duties and Responsibilities
• Notification of Discrepancies
• Inspection Reports
Textbook and Course Material
• Personnel Training Publications: Radiographic Testing Classroom Training Book (ASNT)
• American Petroleum Institute (API) 1104 Piping Welding Code
• American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code
©2016 NDE Institute
All rights reserved.