The objective of this course is to give a foundation in the history of Magnetic Particle testing, wave propagation, attenuation, mode conversion, piezoelectric transducers, transducer types, couplant, and Pulser-Receiver. A understanding of normal beam inspection, angle beams and, spread spectrum. To perform calibration methods and DAC curves. Finally, the application of flaw detection and inspection of welded joints will be learned and demonstrated.
• To become familiar with Magnetism and its properties.
• To analyze and understand the Hysteresis Loop and Permeability.
• To understand measuring magnetization fields and its effects.
• To learn the difference in equipment and their uses.
• To become familiar with different magnetic particle testing practices.
• To determine visible and fluorescent indications.
This course is designed to provide a hybrid experience, including classroom and hands-on training. This class will be divided in the following way:
80% Classroom Training
• Theory of Magnetic Particle Testing
• Familiarity of magnetization and testing practices
• Code and procedure clinics
20% Field Hands-On Training
• Calibration and Equipment
• Familiarity with testing pipes and plates
• Field training based on job site location at time of class
• Basic Concepts
• History of Magnetic Particle Testing
• Magnetic Properties
• Magnetic Fields
Equipment and Materials
• Portable Equipment
• Stationary Equipment
• Magnetic Particles
• Suspension Liquids
• Dry Particles
• Wet Suspension
• Field Direction and Intensity
• L/D Ratio
• Particle Concentration
• Eye Considerations
• Suspension Contamination
• Fluorescent, Wet Indications
• Visible, Dry Indications
Essential and Ethical Duties of the Inspector
• Duties and Responsibilities
• Notification of Discrepancies
• Inspection Reports
Textbook and Course Material
• Magnetic Particle Testing Classroom Training Book (ASNT)
• American Petroleum Institute (API) 1104 Piping Welding Code
• American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code
©2016 NDE Institute
All rights reserved.